CARNAVAL DE RUA @ SAMBA CINE CLUB – Friday 25th FEB
This is our plan for the day:
17:30 – doors open – DJ + food & drinks + FUN… Come dressed up…
19:00 – Tumbarumba – a five piece band, fusing Brazilian rhythms of batucada, samba reggae and baion with funk, hip hop and ragga in an explosion of percussion and voice
20:30 – Totem Fashion Parade
21:00 – Short Film Selection
* Ziriguidum – animation by Gabriel Prezoto – 2’
Ziriguidum is an onomatopoeic, Brazilian Portuguese word with a strong African tone that expresses the sounds of drums and other percussion instruments used in samba and Carnival music.
* Couro de Gato (Cat’s Skin) – film by Joaquim Pedro de Andrade – 1961 – 12’
A few weeks before Carnival, slum boys organize huntings for stray cats, whose leather can be used in Samba percussion instruments, like the Tamborim, a small drum.
* Meditação de Carnaval (A meditation on Carnaval) – Ana Luisa Ribeiro – 2008 – 15’
The director uses carnaval images and narrates her impressions about Rio de Janeiro and carnaval when she returns home from many years living overseas
* Suzy Brasil – a Deusa da Penha Circular (Suzy Brasil – the Goddess of Penha Circular) – Renata Than – 2007 – 20’
Suzy Brasil is a drag queen that hypnotises the public in her shows in Rio de Janeiro’s nightclubs. Marcelo is a straight high school biology teacher. Both of them live in the Penha Circular neighborhood. Is it just a coincidence?
* Video projection including “A Lira do Delírio”(The Lyre of Delight) – Walter Lima Junior – 1978; Macunaíma e outros
22:00 – AGOBLOCO – Traditional Carnaval Marching Band lead by Doug Devries.
23:30 – DJs Guido & Junior will keep the party going…
Shed 4 is an amazing space by the river and we are hoping for a beautiful night so that we can be outside. But THIS IS Melbourne, it can flood or burn at any time, so we are prepared! If weather is not good, we will be sheltered and party on inside the massive warehouse. Also, it usually gets a bit chilly at night, so girls, be resourceful and bring your layers.
- For those of you who have been to Shed 4 yet, please bear in mind that IT IS HARD to find it. Your GPS won’t find it either, so make sure you look at a map and google it before coming. It is a short walk from the main tram stops on Harbour Esplanade (city circle free tram stops there!) So if you got off the tram right in the middle of the esplanade and face the water and have Etihad Stadium on your back, you will walk down TO THE FURTHER LEFT side. (There is a map on our website!) Also, you can park very near. If you are driving, just come all the way down to the end of Bourke St, turn left and right.